I have already talked so much about chemicals and toxins in commercially available beauty products and why I generally avoid them, in my previous posts. I make zero compromise when it comes to my little one, so I decided to make baby body cream, soothing cream and diaper cream at home. I also used home-made bathing powder until she was eight months old.
So, coming to the recipe of baby body cream, I decided to use ingredients, that will keep her skin hydrated and smooth all the time. I also kept in mind that the cream should have healing properties in case there is a skin issue.
I love Shea butter and cocoa butter and they are working wonders on our skin. So, I use these in all of our skin care products. My next absolutely favorite skin care ingredient is coconut oil as it has excellent healing properties. I have also used almond oil because it is packed with Vitamins, especially vitamin E which is great for skin.
I have used lavender essential oil and sweet orange essential oil in this cream for they have absolutely wonderful skin-rejuvenating properties. Lavender oil is great for dry skin and even works great for eczema when mixed with coconut oil.
Sweet orange oil is known for its calming effect plus, it helps by reducing the rate of skin damage from UV light exposure, pollution and toxicity. It is also packed with anti-oxidants and vitamin c.
Let’s check the recipe out
- Almond oil – 1/4 cup
- Coconut oil – 1/4 cup
- Shea Butter – 1/2 cup
- Cocoa butter – 1/2 cup
- Lavender essential oil – 10 drops
- Sweet orange essential oil – 10 drops
- This baby cream is prepared by double boiler method. First, fill in a large pan or pot with water and let it boil.
- Now place a clean glass jar in the pot and add almond oil, coconut oil, Shea butter and cocoa butter to it. Allow it to melt. Stir occasionally to mix them.
- Once they are melt, remove from the heat and after two minutes add the essential oils.
- Allow it to cool and after a few minutes it comes to the right creamy texture. You can also keep it in refrigerator for few minutes for obtaining the right texture.
- If you are making this for babies under 6 months, do not use essential oils.
- I first made a version combining tea tree essential oil and peppermint essential oil. Those were great too.
- I have not added any preservatives here so the shelf life is just three months. I have made in small quantity for the same reason.
- This cream is not just for babies, the entire family can use it as well.
If you have any questions, let me know. Hope you find this recipe useful.